The Blue Spider Lily: A Rare Flower That’s Worth the Search
What is a Blue Spider Lily and What Is It’s Meaning?
The blue spider lily is a flower that is not seen often. Found only in a few places in the world, it blooms for a few weeks each year.
Used in many different cultures and religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism. The blue spider lily meaning can be interpreted in many ways. The most common interpretation of the meaning of the blue spider lily is that it represents hope and peace.
What Country Is The Blue Spider Lily From?
The blue spider lilly is a perennial herbaceous plant in the genus “Lycoris” of the Amaryllis family. It is native to China and Japan.
There are many different types of this species, but the most common one is found in the mountains of western Sichuan province. The term “Spider Lilly” comes from two words: “Spider” because the flowers resemble a spider’s web and “Lilly”, which is the English word for “flower”.
How to Find a Blue Spider Lily in Your Area
They are easily identifiable because of their bright blue flowers and dark green leaves. It grows in moist areas and is often found in meadows, marshes, and wet woodlands. The flowers are usually blue with white spots.
However, not being native to America it is difficult to find them at the roadside, or in the wild. They can also be found in many nurseries for anyone who is willing to do some digging.
What are the Best Ways to Grow a Blue Spider Lily?
Growing blue spider lilies is not as easy as it sounds. It requires patience, hard work and a lot of effort.
First, you will need to get yourself some seeds or bulbs.
The best ways to grow blue spider lilies are:
- Planting them in a pot that has drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.
- Misting the plant every day with water and keeping the soil moist.
- Placing the plant in a sunny location.
- Fertilizing with a fertilizer made for flowering plants once every two weeks or so.
- Cutting the plant back to 6 inches in height, forcing it to bloom again.
- Placing the plant in an area with indirect sunlight around 8am to 3pm and dark at night.
- Planting them outdoors once they start developing blue flowers.
- Bed the pots with soil that has been mixed with sand, charcoal, or perlite.
There are some steps that you can take to help your blue spider lilies thrive in your garden:
- Keep the soil moist at all times
- Provide a lot of sunlight
- Make sure the soil has good drainage
- Give them a lot of water
What Time Of The Year Do You Plant Spider Lily Bulbs
Spider lily bulbs are a popular choice for spring planting, but they can be planted in the fall as well. One of the most important things to remember when planting these bulbs is that they take up more space than other types of plants. Plant them about 12 inches apart and 6 inches deep.
In a tropical climate, these beautiful flowers grow easily and quickly. However, in colder climates, the spider lilies can be tricky to grow. You should start with a healthy bulb or tuber that is about 2 inches in diameter. Plant the tuber 2 inches deep and 2 inches apart from each other. The spider lilies will grow up to 6 feet tall and bloom every four to six weeks.
If you are based in the USA, you can check your hardiness zone quickly on this visual from Gardenia
Blue Spider Lily Care and Maintenance Tips
As one of the most popular flowers in the world, they come in a variety of colors. These flowers are not only beautiful, but they also have a long life span.
The care and maintenance tips below will help you grow your blue spider lily plant to its full potential:
- Keep the blue spider lily in a cool, dark place.
- Trim/clip any dead flowers and leaves.
- Remove any insects that may be living in the plant.
- Cut the plant back by one third to one half of the original height.
- Cut the plant back to the ground and remove any old, dead roots.
- Feed the plant with a liquid fertilizer every two weeks
- Place the plant in a sunny location.
Blue Spider Lily Varieties and How They Differ from Each Other
Previously we have talked about the blue spider lily, but there are also a few variations.
Blue spider lily varieties include the blue spider lily, the purple spider lily, and the white spider lily. The blue variety is by far the most common type of flower.
The White Spider Lily
In appearance, the flowers are tubular, with a hooded upper lip and a lower lip that is split into two lobes.
The color is generally white, with a yellow spot at the base of each petal.
The Purple Spider Lily
A perennial plant in the genus Lilium, and is native to the temperate regions of Europe and Asia.
The flowers are typically 2-3 inches wide, with five petals and a central cone. Usually white, they can also be cream, yellow, or pink.
Leaves are heart-shaped and have toothed edges. The leaves are usually about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
Conclusion: The Blue Spider Lily is Worth the Search
The blue spider lily is definitely a flower worth the search. Whether you find this beautiful flower on a walk in the wild, discover it in your back garden, it is a flower that will leave a magical stamp on you forever.